Is Candle Wax Flammable? Find Out Here!

Updated on December 10, 2022

Table of Contents

Is Candle Wax Flammable?

Candle wax is a popular and inexpensive way to create light in the home, but it can be dangerous if not handled properly.

The most common type of candle wax is paraffin wax, made from petroleum products. Paraffin wax burns at about 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius), so you mustn't leave candles unattended or near anything that could cause them to burn too quickly.

So, to answer if candle wax is flammable, the quick answer is yes. Candle wax, primarily if not handled or stored correctly, is very explosive. However, there are ways to make your candle wax safer for children and pets.

Is Candle Wax Flammable?

How Much Heat Does It Need To Ignite?

Candle wax needs only a tiny amount of heat to ignite. If you have an open flame source nearby, like a match, lighter, or even a candle, you'll be able to start a fire with just a few drops of wax. This means that you should never leave candles burning unattended.

It would be best if you didn't put candles anywhere where they might fall or get knocked over. Candles can easily tip over and spill their contents onto something that will catch fire.

You can do many things with your wax once it has ignited. You can pour it into molds to make shapes or figures. You can melt it down and pour it into containers to make jewelry or other decorative items. You can even use it as fuel by lighting it on fire.

Moreover, it's important to note that candle wax isn't always flammable. Some types of wax aren't flammable at all.

For example, beeswax won't burn unless exposed to oxygen. So, if you're using beeswax to make the design of candles, you'll want to keep them away from any sources of air.

How Much Heat Does It Need To Ignite?

Where Does The Wax Go When You Burn A Candle?

When a candle is lit, the wax will melt and drip out of the wick. As the wax melts, smoke and fumes fill the room. These fumes are what give off the scent of the candle. They also contain carbon monoxide, so you should never leave an entire candle unattended.

The wax itself doesn't go up in flames. Instead, it falls back down to the bottom of the container and solidifies again. This process happens in most candles; you will not notice the candle burning until it's almost completely melted.

Once the wax has cooled, you can reuse it. You can pour it back into its original container or another container. You can add more polish to the new container to continue making candles.

Is It A Fire Hazard?

Yes, candle wax can be a fire hazard. Candles can easily tip over and fall over if they are left out in the open. They can also burn too fast and catch on fire. In addition, when they burn, they produce large amounts of smoke and fumes. These fumes can be toxic and harmful to breathe.

Is It A Fire Hazard?

You should avoid burning candles unattended if you have young kids or pets. Even though they're safe to use around adults, they can still harm children and pets.

If you use candles, you should ensure they stay safe. It would be best to store them away from places where they could accidentally tip over or catch fire. You should also keep them away from children and animals.

How Can A Wax Fire Be Put Out?

A wax fire can be put out in several ways. One standard method is to douse it with water. Another way is to cover it with sand or dirt. Yet another option is to place a wet towel over the top of the candle.

However, these methods don't work for every type of candle. Beeswax candles, for instance, cannot be extinguished this way. To extinguish a beeswax candle, remove the lid and allow it to cool completely before removing it.

Can I Leave A Candle Burning All Night?

No, it would be best if you did not leave a candle burning all night. Doing so can cause the wax to harden and crack. Once the wax cracks, it becomes difficult to get rid of.

Are Candles Explosive?

Not really, but candles can start a fire that can lead to an explosion. That's because the wax inside a candle contains chemicals called paraffin and polyethylene. Paraffin is highly flammable, while polyethylene is less flammable. Together, they create an explosive mixture.

If you light a candle, the flame can ignite the paraffin and polyethylene. Then, once the paraffin starts to burn, it can explode. The heat from the exploding paraffin can ignite the polyethylene. And since polyethylene is much lighter than air, it can rise quickly through the air.

This can happen very quickly. The polyethylene can reach temperatures high enough within seconds to ignite other materials nearby.

For example, this can include paper products like newspapers, magazines, books, and clothing.

Are Candles Explosive?

Safe Candle Burning

Now that we know candles have flammable properties putting them in a candle container will not suffice. Here are some candle fire safety facts and tips that you can follow to avoid extreme candle flame:

Keep your wicks trimmed short. Trimming the wick reduces the amount of wax that burns at any time.

Don't leave candles burning overnight. Leaving candles burning all night can cause the wax to become brittle and crack. Using a candle snuffer to tame the naked flame and avoid a wax explosion is best.

Store your candles properly. Make sure that they aren't exposed to extreme temperatures or humidity. Also, ensure they are stored far away from anything that might spark a fire or cause a candle explosion.

Use only approved candle-lighting tools. Never use matches or lighters to light candles. This can result in a fire that spreads throughout your home. Instead, use a candleholder explicitly designed for lighting candles.

Avoid using scented candles. Scents can attract insects and rodents. Plus, they can give off strong odors that may bother others.

Extinguishing A Wax Fire

When extinguishing a wax fire, you need to act fast. Otherwise, the flames will spread rapidly. Here are some tips on how to kill a wax fire:

Douse the fire with water. Dousing the candle with water helps prevent the fire from spreading. However, you shouldn't pour water directly onto the candle itself. Instead, pour the water into a bucket or pan.

Cover the fire with sand or dirt. Cover the fire with it if you have access to sand or mud. You'll want to do this as soon as possible.

Cover the area around the fire with wet towels. Wet towels help absorb the heat from the fire. So, by covering the room with them, you'll reduce the chance of the fire spreading.

If you're unable to extinguish the fire yourself, call 911 immediately.

Extinguishing A Wax Fire

Is It True That Adding Fragrance Oil To A Candle Makes It More Flammable?

Yes, it can be true. But there are ways to avoid this problem. First, don't add fragrance oil to a candle without testing it out. Second, keep your candles well-ventilated. Third, never place a candle near anything that could catch fire. Finally, always test your candles before lighting them.


To conclude, candle wax is flammable and dangerous. Keep these safety guidelines in mind when working with candles. It's always important to practice caution when dealing with potentially hazardous substances.

Smell is one of the human senses which can flow through the whole body. I am the Founder of where we talk all about scented candles. Known as Candace the Candle Girl, I know pretty much all there is to know about scented candles. I make and sell them on Etsy and Ebay - so be sure to ask if you have any burning questions :) (pun intended ;) )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *