Are Citronella Candles Safe For Dogs?
Citronella candles are a popular way to keep mosquitoes and other bugs away, but many pet owners wonder if they are safe for their dogs. While citronella candles can be an effective insect repellent, there are some potential risks that pet owners should consider before using them around their furry friends. In this article, we will discuss the safety of citronella candles for dogs and provide tips on how to use them safely.
Are citronella candles safe for dogs? Yes, citronella candles are generally safe for dogs when used properly. Citronella is a natural oil derived from the leaves and stems of certain types of lemongrass plants. It has a strong smell that can help repel mosquitoes and other bugs, but it is not toxic to pets. However, some potential risks are associated with using citronella candles around dogs.
What is Citronella?
Citronella is a natural oil derived from the leaves and stems of certain types of lemon balm plants. It has a strong smell that can help repel mosquitoes and other bugs, but it is not toxic to pets. However, some potential risks are associated with using citronella-containing products, such as candles, around dogs.
The most common risk is that the candle could be knocked over or spilled, which could cause a fire hazard. Additionally, the smoke from the candle can irritate a dog’s eyes and lungs, so it is important to keep the candle away from your pet.
Potential Risks of Using Citronella Candles Around Dogs
- Fire Hazard: Citronella candles can be knocked over or spilled, which could cause a fire hazard.
- Smoke Irritation: The smoke from the candle can irritate a dog’s eyes and lungs, so it is important to keep the candle away from your pet.
- Ingestion Risk: Dogs may try to ingest citronella plant wax or oil, which could lead to digestive issues or other health problems.
- Allergic Reactions: Some dogs may have an allergic reaction to the scent of citronella candles, which could cause skin and stomach irritation or respiratory distress.
- Toxic Fumes: If the candle is burned in an enclosed space, toxic fumes may be released, which can be dangerous for humans and animals (animal humane society)
Tips for Safely Using Citronella Candles with Dogs
- Keep the Candle Away from Your Pet: Make sure to keep the candle away from your pet, as the smoke can irritate their eyes and lungs.
- Use in Open Areas: Citronella candles should only be used in open areas with plenty of ventilation.
- Avoid Enclosed Spaces: Do not burn citronella candles in enclosed spaces, as toxic fumes may be released, which can be dangerous for animal lovers and animals.
- Monitor Flame Height: Be sure to monitor the flame height of the candle, as it could become a fire hazard if left unattended.
- Place on Stable Surface: Make sure to place the candle on a stable surface that is out of reach of your pet or any children in the home.
- Keep Out of Reach of Children: Citronella candles should always be kept out of children, as they could knock them over or spill them, causing a fire hazard.
- Discontinue Use If Irritation Occurs: If your pet shows eye irritation and throat irritation, such as coughing or sneezing, discontinue use immediately and move the candle away.
Benefits of Using Citronella Candles to Repel Insects
- Natural and Non-Toxic: Citronella candles are made from natural oils derived from lemongrass plants (mosquito-repelling plants or mosquito plants), making them a safe and non-toxic way to repel insects.
- Effective Insect Repellent: Citronella product candles can effectively keep mosquitoes, flies, and other bugs away from your home or outdoor area.
- Long Lasting: Citronella candles can last up to several hours, providing long-lasting protection against insects.
- Portable: Citronella candles are small and portable, making them easy to take with you on camping trips or other outdoor activities.
- Aromatic Scent: The scent of citronella is pleasant and refreshing, making it a great addition to any outdoor space or patio area.
Alternatives to Citronella Candles for Keeping Bugs Away from Dogs
Natural insect repellents are effective products that are alternatives to citronella-based product candles for keeping bugs away from dogs. Natural insect repellent forms from plant based oils such as lemongrass, peppermint, and eucalyptus. They can be just as effective at repelling insects as kinds of citronella products, making them rave-worthy products and natural products. These natural insect repellents can be applied directly to the dog’s fur or sprayed to keep bugs away. However, spray products, such as bug sprays, come with flavors such as citronella sprays, lemon eucalyptus spray, lemon juice spray, and much more. Additionally, fans and screens on windows and doors can help keep insects out of the home.
In conclusion, citronella candles can safely and effectively repel insects from your home or outdoor area. However, keeping the candle away from your pet and using it in open areas with plenty of ventilation is important. Additionally, monitor the flame height and place the candle on a stable surface that is out of reach of children. If your pet shows signs of irritation, discontinue use immediately. Natural insect repellents, fans, and screens on windows and doors are alternatives to citronella candles for keeping bugs away from dogs.
Smell is one of the human senses which can flow through the whole body. I am the Founder of NeoCandle.com where we talk all about scented candles. Known as Candace the Candle Girl, I know pretty much all there is to know about scented candles. I make and sell them on Etsy and Ebay – so be sure to ask if you have any burning questions 🙂 (pun intended 😉 )
- 1 Are Citronella Candles Safe For Dogs?