Can You Eat Candle Wax?
In this article, we will discuss whether you can eat candle wax or not. Accidents happen. Some people may be tempted to consume candles when they’re not supposed to.
You may have accidentally touched your tongue to your finger when removing candle wax from your finger. Perhaps it was just the result of a drunken bet you and your friends made together.
Regardless of the cause, whether candle wax is edible still stands. Is it corrosive? What kind of intervention, if any, will you require?
All of these issues are covered in this article. Let’s get started.
What takes place if candle wax is eaten?
Candles made from paraffin wax are considered safe for ingestion; however, ingesting too much may cause intestinal obstructions. Some people may experience an allergic reaction when they smell or see the colors in the colored candle. It could be that their eyes were exposed to the daily use candle, so if they touch their eyes after smelling or seeing the candle, they may experience irritation or pain. They might also develop skin rashes or blisters.
If someone accidentally swallows some candle wax, they won’t usually need medical attention. You shouldn’t worry if someone accidentally swallows a small candle wax. It is likely that if someone ate candle pieces, they’d experience some gastrointestinal discomfort or diarrhea. Usually, there isn’t any need for significant action because this goes away on its own.
Moreover, it would help if you also read our article about candle wax and whether candle wax is toxic to humans or not.
Can candle wax cause death?
No, if only a small amount of candle wax was consumed. Anyone’s system can process a tiny amount of wax, including children.
On the other hand, consuming too many quantities of candle wax could be dangerous.
Eating large amounts of candles could cause breathing difficulties because they might block your throat.
Additionally, this enormous chunk of wax may clog the digestive tract.
If fast action isn’t taken, the paraffin candles could burn down and cause an explosion. The next section of the article discusses ways to prevent this from happening.
How poisonous is birthday candle wax?
Eating cake is one systematic way to consume pieces of candle wax. You’re eating your favorite cake when you notice something isn’t right. Naturally, the first thing you’ll want to know is whether it’s poisonous. You can’t be sure that the candle you ate was safe to eat.
However, it would be best if you usually asked for edible candles specifically. If you haven’t asked for them, you’ve probably already eaten one.
So what do you do?
The effect will be the same regardless of the candle size, whether it’s birthday candles or any other type of candle.
If it was only a small bit, there is no need for concern. On the other hand, you would require medical attention if it were a larger chunk.
Moreover, we have also written an article about candle wax, whether it can evaporate or not.
Is soy wax safe to eat?
Is all candle wax poisonous in some way? Or are some types of candle wax edible, like soy wax?
Soy oil is, essentially, edible. You can consume soy oil as long as there are none of the following additives: flavorings, coloring agents, preservatives, etc.
After all, candles are most useful for their fragrance and not for their nutritional value. How safe is soy wax to consume?
Recall that soybeans are used to make soy wax. Soybeans are also a type of vegetable.
Hydrogenation is one of the primary procedures for creating soy wax from soybeans, but soybeans themselves are still edible after they’ve been hydrogenated.
Moreover, you should read our article before sleeping with a lit candle.
What if you ate candle wax?
Calling emergency assistance immediately, whether from the hospital or the poison control centers, should be your first course of action!
If you’re unsure how to call the local police or fire department, call an ambulance first and take the patient to the nearest hospital.
What can you do in the meantime?
Here are little pieces of advice.
When calling an ambulance, make sure to tell them what happened. Whether it was a birthday cake or a regular birthday cake (the long, white stick-shaped kind), inform them about the type of candles used. Let them also understand the number of standard candles burned, how old the victim is, and if they’re allergic to any substances.
Make sure to mention any allergies the victim might have. The amount of melted paraffin should also be mentioned. If possible, try to remove any broken glass or metal parts from the victim’s body. Gargle with some water before wiping your face with a handkerchief.
Make sure to save the candle fragment that was consumed. This will make it easier for medical personnel to determine whether the candle contains any dangerous or deadly compounds, and the appropriate course of treatment may then be arranged.
What Effect Does the Kind of Candle Wax Have When You Eat It?
Soy edible birthday candles from plant materials, like soy wax, can be safely consumed if no artificial ingredients are added. On the other hand, paraffin wax is never suitable for consumption. It’s best to avoid consuming paraffin if you’re sensitive to it. However, if you eat pure vegetable oil, you won’t experience any side effects. It’s best to avoid eating any candles. However, accidental candle poisoning is easily treated.
Moreover, it would also help you if you read our article, where we have discussed whether candle wax can melt plastic or not.
Smell is one of the human senses which can flow through the whole body. I am the Founder of NeoCandle.com where we talk all about scented candles. Known as Candace the Candle Girl, I know pretty much all there is to know about scented candles. I make and sell them on Etsy and Ebay – so be sure to ask if you have any burning questions 🙂 (pun intended 😉 )
- 1 Can You Eat Candle Wax?