Our Ultimate Guide To Making Wine Scented Candles
If you want to fill your home with a cosy scent of Merlot to relax in the evenings or make a wine-scented candle as a homemade gift to your friends during the festive seasons, you can easily make a wine-scented candle at home.
To make wine-scented candles, you most commonly use gel wax and dye, as well as a wine fragrance oil. However, you can also make these candles with beeswax if that’s all you have on hand.
We’ve discussed in further detail below if you can put wine in candles and two methods to making these scented candles as an easy DIY project.
Can I Put Wine In Scented Candles?
In order to make a wine-scented candle smell and colour, you might be tempted to pour a few drops of wine into your candle wax when making one of these candles, however, this is not a good idea.
Firstly, alcohol is flammable, so a fire hazard, this is why we don’t suggest putting perfumes in candles either, only fragrance oil. Second of all, the alcohol will burn off very quickly, causing the candle to burn fast and lose its scent easily.
If you want to be making wine-scented candles you need to ensure your using a wine-scented fragrance oil.
How To Make Wine-Scented Candles
To make a basic candle which is wine scented, this DIY method below just needs some fragrance oil and beeswax, nothing too fancy.
We’ve listed the steps to follow.
- An empty can.
- Half a pound of beeswax.
- Candle wick.
- Red pigment.
- Merlot fragrance oil.
- Cranberry fragrance oil.
- Melting pot.
- Glass candle jar.
- Start by placing the wax into a can and then into the pot and filling it halfway with water to create a double boiler for the candle wax. Boil the water until the wax melts then stir in the colour.
- Now pour in the fragrance oil and stir, tip everything into your glass candle jar, and fill 1/4 inch from the edge allowing the wick to hang over the jar.
- Keep the wick upright until the candle cools then trim the candle wicks to 1/4 of an inch.
- Light and enjoy your beautiful candles!
How To Make Gel Wax Wine-Scented Candles
If you want to make some more stylish wine-scented candles at home in wine glasses, using gel wax could be the way to go, these scented candles make a great gift too!
- Right-sized wick for glasses.
- Small wine glasses.
- Gel wax.
- Red craft sand.
- Red candle colour.
- Melting pots.
- Wine fragrance oil.
- Begin by putting hot glue on the bottom of the wine glasses and adding in your wick with a touch of red craft sand.
- Melt your gel wax safely over an open heat source, you need to be very careful when doing this and make sure the gel wax does not heat to temperatures over 220F, a double boiler will not get hot enough to melt this type of wax.
- Once you have gently melted your wax, add in the fragrance oil and combine, now add the fragrance colour, for a deep red add more, to make light red add less. If you want to make white wine candles we suggest using yellow food colouring.
- Now, pour a small amount of wax into the bottom where the candle wicks are and allow to set for a few minutes, then fill the rest, keep the wick centred until cool and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions About Making Wine Scented Candles
Can you make handmade candles in wine glasses?
Glassware is okay to make candles in as long as the glass is thick enough to withstand the heat inside of it and not break.
What can I use as candle colorant?
As candle colour, you can use candle dye, herbs and spices or even crayons, play around until you find the strength of the colour you desire.
Are gel wax candles safe to burn?
Yes, gel wax is non-toxic and safe to burn, it is also very popular to use for homemade candles due to its long burning time.
How do I melt gel wax?
To melt gel wax you will need to do this in a melting pot over a direct heat source, you need to be careful with the temperature however otherwise it can dry the wax-up.
How do I make champagne candles?
To make champagne candles follow the same steps with our gel wax above, you will need to use a yellow color dye rather than a red color dye for this job, you will also need a longer wick due to the size of champagne glasses.
Overall, to make wine scented candles you will need either gel wax or beeswax, wine fragrance and some colouring, you can make wine scented candles in standard containers of wine glasses.
Always make sure when burning handmade candles you trim the wick before hand and choose the right kind of wick, we also suggest burning for four hour increments.
Smell is one of the human senses which can flow through the whole body. I am the Founder of NeoCandle.com where we talk all about scented candles. Known as Candace the Candle Girl, I know pretty much all there is to know about scented candles. I make and sell them on Etsy and Ebay – so be sure to ask if you have any burning questions 🙂 (pun intended 😉 )