Can You Melt Candle Wax In The Microwave? Find Out Here!

Updated on August 14, 2022

Table of Contents

Can You Microwave A Candle? Or Melt Wax In It?

Many people enjoy creating their own custom candles, and, as a result, they need to melt candle wax to make one. There are a few of the most common ways to melt the wax for your candles successfully, but melting it in the microwave is the first thing that comes to most minds.

So, can you melt candle wax in the microwave? It is possible. You can technically melt candle wax in the microwave, but many risks are involved. For safety reasons, melting candle wax with a microwave is not the best method.

In this article, I have discussed what candle wax is made of, the dangers of melting it in the microwave, and what is the safest method to melt candle wax in the microwave. This will give you a better perspective on whether microwaving candle wax is worth it or not and how dangerous it can be.

What is candle wax made of?

Can You Melt Candle Wax In The Microwave

Candle wax is generally made of paraffin, a petroleum by-product. In its simplest form, paraffin is a white, odorless substance that is solid at room temperature. Candle makers add other ingredients to the paraffin to make candle wax, such as vegetable oils and colorants.

About 90% of candles in the United States are made with paraffin wax. The remaining 10% are made with beeswax, soy wax, palm wax, or other plant-based waxes.

Paraffin wax has a melting point between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit (49-60 degrees Celsius).

When heated to its melting point, it becomes a clear liquid. When cooled, it becomes a white solid again.

Find out your candle wax type.

Before melting your wax, you need to determine what type of candle wax you're working with. The most common type of candle wax is paraffin, but there are also soy, beeswax, and palm waxes. All of them have a different melting point, and doing a little research about your wax type, will make it easier and safer for you to melt it properly.

Moreover, we have written an article about how to ship candles without melting, if you are someone who has plans to sell a candle or currently selling it. Then, you really should read that article.

The dangers of melting wax in the microwave

Can You Melt Candle Wax In The Microwave

No matter, it looks very easy to microwave candle wax, but it involves a lot of risks. Here are some of the potential dangers of microwaving candle wax;

So, as you can see, there are quite a few dangers associated with microwaving candle wax - more than just starting a fire. Before attempting this method of melting your candles' wax, it's important to be aware of these dangers. No worries, check out here How To Melt Candle Wax On A Stove.

How to melt candle wax in the microwave safely?

Can You Melt Candle Wax In The Microwave

While melting candle wax in the microwave is possible, it's not the safest method. If you must melt wax in the microwave, do so with caution.

Tips to melt candle wax in the microwave

Here are a few tips for melting candle wax in the microwave safely;

As you can see, there are a few steps you need to take to melt candle wax in the microwave safely. But, if you're careful, it can be done.

Alternatives to melting candle wax in the microwave

Free Person in White Long Sleeve Shirt Holding White Plastic Fork Stock Photo

There are a few alternative methods for the candle wax melting process that doesn't involve using the microwave. Here are a few of the most common methods:

As you can see, there are a few different ways to melt candle wax without using the microwave. Each method has its own risks, so be sure to research each before attempting it. Which method is best for melting candle wax? The best method for melting candle wax will depend on your preferences and the type of wax you use.

The double boiler option is the safest if you're using paraffin wax. If you're using beeswax or soy wax, you can melt it in a pan of hot water. And if you're in a hurry, you can use a hair dryer to melt the wax. No matter which method you choose, be sure to take precautions and not overheat the wax, as this can cause it to ignite.

Check out here How Long Do Wax Melts Last? 

Smell is one of the human senses which can flow through the whole body. I am the Founder of where we talk all about scented candles. Known as Candace the Candle Girl, I know pretty much all there is to know about scented candles. I make and sell them on Etsy and Ebay - so be sure to ask if you have any burning questions :) (pun intended ;) )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *