Our Guide To Making A Volcano Scented Candle With Essential Oils
If you’ve ever wanted an earthy-scented candle which reminds you of volcanoes, we have a great guide below which will take you through the process of making them with essential oils.
All you need to make a volcano scented candle is an earthy scented essential oil like patchouli oil, a candle container and wax for the job.
We’ve put together a short guide below explaining what volcano scented candles should smell like plus a quick step by step guide to making your own at home.
What Should Volcano Scented Candles Smell Like?
If you are eager to replicate the smell of volcanoes in your candles at home, you will need an essential oil which smells earthy. Volcanoes often smell like sulfur similar to rotten eggs once they erupt.
You probably don’t want your home to smell this bad, but some essential oils like Patchouli can help to replicate the earthy part of this smell.
To figure out the right amount of essential oil you need in your candle check our guide here, the amount will depend on the strength of the scent throw you want, size of the candle, the type of wax you are using and the essential oil itself.
Our Step By Step Guide To Making Volcano Scented Candles
If unsure of what you will need to make your volcano scented candle at home and want the best results, we have a step-by-step guide for you below which will guide you through the candle-making process.
What You Need
- Candle container.
- Patchouli essential oil.
- Double boiler.
- Candle wax of choice.
- Colouring if needed.
Step By Step
- Start by measuring out the wax that you need for the size of your candle container then melt slowly using the double boiler method, for most waxes you want them to reach a temperature of 180F.
- Next, allow the wax to cool slightly and stir in the essential oil, you might need around 10% of the candle in essential oil since they are less potent than traditional fragrance oil. You can also add your candle colouring at this stage.
- Prepare the candle container by glueing down the wick in the centre and find something to hold it in place, this could be a pencil and string for example.
- Pour in the wax and allow the candle to cure and set for a few days depending on the kind of wax you have used.
- Trim the wick, light and enjoy your earthy-scented candle!
To conclude, to make a volcano-scented candle you will need to pick an earthy-smelling essential oil like Patchouli, make sure you are using enough essential oil for a good scent throw according to the size of your candle.
Always add the scent at the right temperature when making a candle and burn for 4 hours the first time allow the wax pool to reach the edges of the container so that it can have the right wax memory otherwise this can weaken your scent throw.
Smell is one of the human senses which can flow through the whole body. I am the Founder of NeoCandle.com where we talk all about scented candles. Known as Candace the Candle Girl, I know pretty much all there is to know about scented candles. I make and sell them on Etsy and Ebay – so be sure to ask if you have any burning questions 🙂 (pun intended 😉 )